Thursday, December 02, 2010

Christmasing....

I have had a lot on my mind lately. Various things - nothing earth shattering - but some involving priority changes.

I have been thinking for several days about how to write this post without sounding "scroogish" and without being misunderstood - and let's face it, I was waiting for TIME to sit and type it all out and then read it over a million times making sure that it communicated what I was trying to express. Then I came across this post that shared pretty well (and prettily!) how I am feeling about this one aspect of this season for us this year. It doesn't mean it won't change next year, but for this year I am truly feeling the less is more feeling.

Then I saw this video:




and felt like my priorities needed to be rearranged again. I am not a "save the whales", "we are the world", "go green" kind of girl - but i'd like to hope that i am a care for the fatherless, widows, and those in need kind of Christian. Which made me think - in the busyness of this life, what am I REALLY doing for others? What am I teaching my kids about helping and meeting the needs of others. I am constantly telling them to prefer one another when it comes to sharing with each other and not being selfish - but is that REALLY teaching them to meet the needs of others?

I have toyed with the idea of no gifts this year and just giving that money to ?...or going back to basics and just giving handmade gifts - which would be fun for me but perhaps not so much for Nate when I sew him a new shirt! LOL :)

I want my kids to see Christ this Christmas. Not STUFF. I told Nathan that I was struggling to find a meaningful gift to give the boys this year and then it hit me - the most meaningful things that I can give them this year are my time and the Gift of sharing Christ with them.

I love presents like the next person - but my birthday was in November. Maybe this year we would be more happy with the right focus on the Perfect Gift and not the perfect present!

2 comments:

Erin Neiner said...

Shyla: this was awesome and I am in the same boat as you are. I grew up with a grandmother who SPOILED us (and lived next door to us). Seriously----my first Christmas I received 13 dolls from her alone! AND I WAS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD!!!!! :) So I too can empathize your battle of balance this time of year. I think it's so interesting that you don't have to have a lot of money but can still get so caught up in it all. It's about meaningfulness. The most peaceful times in our home this week have been when I have stopped my schedule and have given the boys my full attention and sat and did something with them. There were so many great messages in this video. I tend to over do (even if it's in the name of Christmas). And I think there is something enjoyable in the simplicity of it all. Time literally stands still rather than having to rush on to the next thing all the time. Thanks for sharing. :) And MERRY CHRISTMAS!

WhatIfWeAllCared? said...

I am so glad I wandered onto your blog~ and that I scrolled down to this post! I am going to start now planning to un-shop Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails